TalentLift supports Canadian employers to find and relocate talent from within refugee populations, and is the first non-profit talent agency of its kind to offer clients in-house visa services. We achieved registration as a Civil Society Organization with the Law Society of Ontario this month.
The Law Society of Ontario introduced a new Civil Society Organization status in April 2019 to make lawyer and paralegal services more accessible to the public. It enables lawyers and paralegals to provide their direct professional services as employees of charities and non-profits like TalentLift. Previously, legal services provided through these organizations needed to be outsourced.
This milestone is wonderful news for TalentLift as we better serve employers and the candidates they hire from refugee circumstances. Our model encompasses recruitment, visa application (through our in-house legal department) and settlement coordination. It adapts what works in the private sector to achieve specialization and efficiency. It’s a major step towards advancing the competitiveness of refugees in the global job market where they can increasingly compete on a level field with all international talent.
The Law Society of Ontario has noted the many potential benefits to delivering lawyer and paralegal services through charities and non-profits, including:
For clients (i.e. our employers and candidates):
- Quicker and more direct access to lawyer and paralegal services
- Professional services delivered by trained, licensed, insured lawyers and paralegals
- Earlier identification and potential resolution of legal issues
- Reduced client stress and enhanced client outcomes and empowerment
For charities and non-profits (i.e. TalentLift):
- Enhanced organizational capacity to identify and address client legal issues
- Enhanced client service by having a lawyer or paralegal potentially on-site to address legal issues
- Enhanced ability to provide holistic services to clients
This approval will benefit the companies we work with and the talented candidates they hire from displacement. With TalentLift, companies hire and relocate talent with ease and with significant impact. While candidates engage with a purpose-built and mission-driven legal team in their immigration journey to new companies and home communities across Canada.